Ross Castle is located just outside the town of Killarney on the Ross Road. It is very well signposted and easy to find. Originally the home of an Irish Chieftain (O’ Donoghue Ross) Ross Castle Killarney was probably built in the late 15thcentury. The castle is a typical example of the stronghold of an Irish Chieftain during the Middle Ages. It sits on the banks of Lough Leane on a majestic site looking out on to the lake and Inisfallen Island (home to a 7th century monastery). It is reputed to be one of the last strongholds of significance to fall to Cromwell’s forces in the 1650’s.
The Castle has recently been restored and is open to visitors from April to October (there is a fee which includes a guided tour) but you can stroll around the grounds throughout the year. As the castle is one of Killarney’s main tourist attractions it can get quiet busy during the peak summer months. Boats trips are also available from here to Inisfallen Island and around The Lakes of Killarney.